Cats, much like other animals, need freshwater to maintain good health. Moreover, regular intake of freshwater facilitates the removal of toxins from the cat’s body and keeps it cat well-hydrated. Dehydration can cause a lot of problems in animals; therefore, utmost care should be taken of a cat’s water needs. This is where the importance of the best cat water fountain comes into play.
So, how to ensure your cat gets a regular supply of fresh water for its drinking needs? Cat water fountains can be a great solution! In this guide, we’ll discuss the importance of cat water fountains, list critical features you should keep in mind while looking for the best water fountain for your cat and discuss the top 5 cat water fountains in detail.
Our experts have performed in-depth research on each product and prepared detailed notes to help you identify the pros and cons of each. Read further to know more.
Benefits of Cat Water Fountains
Cat water fountains come with 2 major advantages. Firstly, they provide a regular stream of water for your cats. Secondly, they comprise in-built water filters that keep the water clean and free of dirt, toxins and impurities.
The water in your cat’s water bowl is stagnant water. Therefore, it can lead to the collection of dust and other impurities. It is often observed that cats prefer drinking water from cat water fountains instead of water bowls. As it is, cats are picky about anything and everything.
Important Features to Consider While Buying Cat Water Fountains
1) Filters: The first and foremost consideration before getting a cat water fountain should be the filtration features. There are two types of filters in a cat water fountain, mechanical filters that comprise physical filters for cleaning the water, and chemical filters, that use chemicals to remove excess impurities and toxins from the water. Therefore, when looking for the a suitable cat water fountain, one must ensure that it has the right kind of filter.
2) Size: Size is an important feature to be kept in mind when selecting a cat water fountain. There are two reasons why. Firstly, you need to assess the size to ensure it fits well in your home. Secondly, size also determines the water holding capacity of a cat water fountain. Larger sized cats will have a higher water requirement than smaller cats and require a bigger cat water fountain.
3)Color and Design: Let’s get real, when do color and design not matter? Almost never! Get a cat water fountain that will complement your home decor.
4)Material: Cat water fountains are made of several different materials viz. glass, plastic, stone, steel, etc. The type of material you go for will dictate the durability and longevity of the cat water fountain. For instance, a plastic-made cat water fountain may not last as long as a stainless steel one.
5) Noise: Cat water fountains have one common feature, water pumps in the water filters. Pumps with a higher voltage tend to be noisier than those having a lower voltage. So, select a cat water fountain that will not cause any disturbance to you or your pet.
6) Price: Price is almost always the foremost consideration for most people. But, when buying cat water fountains, ensure you don’t compromise on the quality of filtration for the sake of a few bucks.
5 Best Cat Water Fountain on the Market
Too many cat water fountains to decide from? Here are the top picks of our cat experts!
|Catit Flower Pet Fountain||Best Overall Cat Water Fountain||Check price|
|Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer with Microban||Best Budget Cat Water Fountain||Check price|
|PetSafe Healthy Cat Water Station||Best Value For Money Cat Water Fountain||Check price|
|PetSafe Platinum Cat Water Fountain||Best Indoor Cat Water Fountain||Check price|
|PetSafe Pagoda Cat Water Fountain||Best High-End Cat Water Fountain||Check price|
Let’s take a closer look at the above cat water fountains to ease out the process of selecting the right one for your cat!
Catit Flower Pet Fountain: Best Overall Cat Water Fountain
AVAILABLE COLORSBlue (With LED), Green
WATER CAPACITY3 Liters
When we talk about the best overall cat water fountain, we keep into consideration the filtration ability, price and water holding capacity. The Catit Cat Water Fountain stood strong on all three fronts, making it the top choice for our experts.
The Catit Cat Water Fountain ensures that your cat receives filtered, running water. It has a recirculation cycle for water. The 3 L water reservoir is good for both consuming less space and not running out of the water quickly. Moreover, it has three different water streams available viz. Gentle Water Flow, Bubbling Top and Calm Streams.
An important part of cat water fountains is the filters. Catit’s triple-action filter removes any calcium or magnesium left in the water. These minerals may cause urinary infections or diseases in your cat’s urinary tract by accumulating in larger quantities. These filters also eliminate bacteria and odor along with cat hair, sediments, and so on.
Also, the water pump of the Catit Cat Water Fountain is energy efficient, making as little noise as possible. Sounds like the complete package, doesn’t it?
- Triple Action Filter ensures the water your cat gets is clean and fresh
- The compact size ensures the cat water fountain does not take up a lot of space
- Energy-efficient, less noisy water pump
- Comprises different water stream flows for picky cats
- Fewer color choices make it less likely to gel with existing room decor
Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer with Microban: Best Budget Cat Water Fountain
AVAILABLE COLORSPearl Lady Pink, Pearl Peacock Blue, Pearl Silver Grey, Mason Silver
WATER CAPACITY1.8 to 15.14 Liters
The Petmate Replendish Cat Water Fountain is the best budget pick out of the many cat water fountains our experts reviewed. It does what it is supposed to do; provide your cat with clean drinking water.
The Petmate fountain uses Gravity Flow Technology to fill the base of the cat water fountain. It comes with Microban Antimicrobial Product Protection that ensures there is no growth or presence of bacteria at the base of the cat water fountain’s water bowl.
The Petmate Replendish Cat Water Fountain dispenses filtered water slowly through its singular charcoal filter for slow replenishing of water. Even though you may feel the features on this water fountain are lackluster, it makes up for the same by other means.
It comes in a variety of water capacities, ranging from 1.8 to 15.4 liters. It also comes in a variety of colors, the kind of colors that would gel well with all types of room decor. Moreover, the price at which you get the Petmate Replendish Cat Water Fountain available is an absolute steal!
- Most budget-friendly cat water fountain
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- Consumes less space indoors
- Available in multiple colors, capacities, and sizes
- Contains a single charcoal filter
- The plastic water reservoir feels a little flimsy and is not too durable
PetSafe Healthy Cat Water Station: Best Value For Money Cat Water Fountain
WATER CAPACITY1.8, 3.7 and 9.4 Liters
PetSafe is one of the leading brands when we talk about pet accessories. And, the PetSafe Healthy Cat Water Fountain is the most value for money cat water fountain available. It comes in three different sizes, as mentioned above. Therefore, it is suitable for all cat sizes. This water fountain also uses Gravity Flow Technology, which keeps the stainless-steel cat water fountain filled at all times to keep your pet hydrated throughout the day.
The PetSafe Healthy Cat Water Fountain comes with a lockable reservoir that ensures it doesn’t get knocked down by the cat easily. Moreover, the water bowl, as mentioned above, is made of stainless steel, a far better option than plastic.
The best feature of this cat water fountain is that it is easily cleanable. The water bowl is removable and should be washed using hot water. Even though it comes in just one color, the look it has with the white color will suit any and every room decor.
- Budget-friendly and value for money
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Locks into place to avoid spillage.
- Compact size ensures the cat water fountain does not take up a lot of space
- Multiple sizes available
- Easily cleanable cat water fountain
- Available in a single color
- The water filter is sold separately and not as a part of the package
PetSafe Platinum Cat Water Fountain: Best Indoor Cat Water Fountain
WATER CAPACITY1.8, 3.7 and 4.9 Liters
Some cat water fountains are suitable for outdoors, some for indoors, and some for both. The PetSafe Platinum Cat Water Fountain is one of the best indoor cat water fountains out there. It comes in a variety of sizes. Therefore, it is suitable for larger pets or people who have multiple pets.
The Platinum Cat Water Fountain comes with a replaceable charcoal filter, which not only kills the bacteria present in the water but also removes any odor.
The water pump is adjustable, allowing users to control the flow of the water stream. Also, this cat water fountain is easily cleanable. You can also clean it in a dishwasher.
- Easy to store and use
- Available in multiple capacities and sizes
- Comes with a charcoal water filter to filter odor and bacteria
- Adjustable water pump to adjust the speed of the water stream
- Available in a single color
- Suitable for indoor use only
- The price is higher than similar cat water fountains on the market
PetSafe Pagoda Cat Water Fountain: Best High-End Cat Water Fountain
AVAILABLE COLORSBlue, Red, Taupe, White
WATER CAPACITY2 Liters
Many cat owners enjoy spoiling their cats with the best cat treats and the best cat accessories on the market. Therefore, we’ve ensured we bring out the best high-end cat water fountain for your cat. Yes, it’s PetSafe again.
The Pagoda Cat Water Fountain is made of ceramic material, making it an even more hygienic alternative to plastic and steel water fountains. It comes with a carbon filter, which filters bacteria and removes any odor from the water. It supports a dual free-falling water stream system that allows for better oxygenation of the water.
The design of the PetSafe Pagoda is such that it gives cats 360-degree access to drinking water on top of the two free-fall streams. Also, one may say that not only is the Pagoda the most elegant looking cat water fountain but also the quietest cat water fountain on the market at the moment. The submersible water pump is almost noiseless.
- Compact size ensures the water fountain consumes less space
- Made of ceramic material
- Charcoal water filter to filter odor and bacteria
- Available in multiple elegant colors to add to the luxurious feel of the ceramic
- Noiseless water pump
- Priced higher than most cat water fountains
- Suitable for indoor use only
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Cat Water Fountains
Now that we’ve discussed the best cat fountains on the market in detail, let’s look at some frequently asked questions on cat water fountains.
It is important for cat owners to understand that cats must stay hydrated at all times. Cats are known to be the best water drinkers; however, it is true that using cat water fountains can entice cats to drink more water. After all, cats are smart animals. They deem stagnated water to be unfit for drinking. This is where the streams of water provided by water fountains come into play. Therefore, free-flowing freshwater is often the go-to choice for cats.
It is obvious that filters get dirty with each passing day as they clean and purify water. Therefore, cleaning of water filters is extremely necessary. Experts recommend cleaning/replacing the water filters every 2-4 weeks to ensure a continuous flow of fresh and pure water for your cats.
Tap water can be a health hazard for cats. This non-filtered water is unsafe for your cat as it may contain bacteria or other minerals like calcium and magnesium that can be harmful to your cat’s digestive system. Nevertheless, tap water given to a cat via a cat water fountain is safe to drink. This is because cat water fountains come with carbon filters that kill all the bacteria and remove unnecessary minerals from the water, making any water safe for drinking.